I set an alarm off in an Art gallery yesterday. I stood too close to a painting. A red light swooned above my head and three busty men came running at me. Thats just typical of me isn`t it?
But I must tell you...
On the 6th day Berlin gave me Roya. Roya looks like Pocohontas. I met her at Christos birthday party, she is the sister of one of the little boys that came along. She is very striking and well dressed, obviously into her designer wear... and cars. But also likes music and reading and the guardian!Anyway we got on and before she left she got my number and said " We should go out some time." So, we went for lunch yesterday. I found her very calm and unexcitable, unlike myself. I realised how I am very much an open book...
On the 8th day Berlin gave me Matilda. Matilda is a grandma, visiting her daughter and grandchildren in Berlin but actually lives in India with her husband. Matilda like me is an open book, so we instantly got on. That day I was feeling very down about my situation with Christo etc, and she listened and we spoke about her life aswell. I almost cried with relief of having this stranger suddenly comfort me- its like she said " I was put here today for you."
On the 10th day Berlin gave me Hania (said like Hannah.) Hania is a tourist in Berlin, a Polish girl studying Law. I met Hania in the queue for an art gallery, I said "Spreckensie Englisch?" (Do you speak English?) and she did! We debated whether we would go into this gallery which was supposed to be free but wasn`t that day... We decided no! And then we spent the rest of the evening in other galleries and museums- The National Gallery and The Bode muesuem. Hania was very easy going (perhaps because she wasnt German?) Anyway, we discussed how we didn`t like German Art, Polish cuisine, Children, Travel and more Art. As we walked around and she told me about this painting and this artist and why this was good and why this wasn`t. I thought `Oh my god she studies Law and she knows tonnes about Art,' but it turns out she studied the history of art at college. We had similar tastes so we could laugh at the portraits of grumpy men or of angels with the the german flag on the wing! She was there when the alarm went off.... She didn`t even laugh, she just looked at me and said deadpan "This is fun."
Th 10th day also bought me Michelle (the english teacher I have already spoken about?) She is a Jamacian woman, with the most mature and beautiful 14 year old children I have ever met. Wonderfully kind and straight forward she took me in yesterday and gave me my first cup of tea in 2 weeks.
So Berlin has thrown up some people for me in the works. And they have really helped me even if for a breif hour or so. Being here has made me realise how much I rely on the company of people, to get to know people, to talk. And all the people I have just talked about have been very good, kind-hearted people.
And maybe there will be more?
Love x
Friday, July 03, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
"She was there when the alarm went off.... She didn`t even laugh, she just looked at me and said deadpan "This is fun." "
i liked that bit best.!
Post a Comment